Sunday, March 20, 2011

OCA Sewing Tip: Top stitching with Teflon Presser Feet

I bought a Teflon presser foot for a photoshoot for my upcoming book, Sewing with Oilcloth, that's due out in August. So, when I was making a laminated cotton apron the other day, I was pleased to have this on hand. I've always just made due with my roller foot,  but let me tell you this bad boy was worth all $48 of the precious dollars that it cost me (Bernina presser feet always cost a fortune, but not every company has such high prices for specialty feet).

Top stitching a pocket onto my laminated cotton apron was a totally breeze once I switched feet. Laminated Cotton has a tendency to get caught up under a normal presser foot or a roller foot--because of this I've ended up with little pinches and tiny pleats in my past attempts at top stitching (not pretty, not acceptable!). If you don't have a fancy Teflon Foot and don't want to invest in one, try out the tape trick, it helps a lot!!!

Happy sewing,
Kelly

1 comment:

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I thought you might be interest in one of my Blog posts where I talk a great deal about sewing on laminated cotton. I too recommend the Teflon foot. Here's the direct link to the post.
http://robingallagher.blogspot.com/2011/01/handling-laminated-cotton.html