Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Oilcloth Alfresco Series, Chalk Cloth Menu Board



Well this tutorial is long over due tutorial.   It is an easy-peasy one, one I have wanted to do for two months now.   I started out with an old framed print that I found at Goodwill, while the print wasn't my style the frame was a good color and it was a perfect shape and size for the space.   I had hoped that I could find something in my attic because free is so much better than cheap but no luck, it you ask around I am sure you can find something free.   



Stuff you gotta have:
  • 1/2 yard of chalk cloth 
  • old framed print
  • pliers
  • screwdriver
  • scissors 
  • tape measure
  • duck tape
  • spray adhesive 














1)  Give your frame a good whip down and remove any screws and brads.  


2)  Pieces and parts... discard the print and your left with the plexi-glass and cardboard




3)  Use cardboard insert as template, cut chalk cloth an inch and a half larger then insert.

4)  Spray Mount the chalk cloth onto cardboard.  

















5)  Do some fancy cutting and then tape corners around to the back of the cardboard insert.  Don't worry about the corners looking to perfect, they will be well hidden.  




6)  Cure your chalk cloth before put everything back together.  For full instructions see the "cure me" post!  

7)  Now it is time to slid it all back together.  Chalk Cloth/Cardboard combo goes in first and then the plexi-glass.  Bend the brads back in place locking the menu board into the frame.  



All that is left it to plan your menu and invite some of your close friends over it is BBQ time!  

Kelly's Easy-Peasy Potatoes 

Cut up new potatoes into bite size pieces.  Place in a bowl, salt (Kosher) and pepper to taste and toss with butter and fresh rosemary.   Using heavy-duty recycled foil  make a little potato packet.  Wrap it up tight and throw it on the grill about 10 minutes before the meat and it should be done by the time you have the table set.   Careful opening the package up, don't let the steam get ya!  

This was the first dish that I mastered when I started grilling.   A friend used to make it the summer I worked at St. Louis Opera.  We had nightly cookouts on our high-rise rooftop, while looking out across downtown, we had the best view of the Arch!    It was very fun, every night was a party!  Any way this dish still remains one of my favorite "go to" side dishes.   


2 comments:

I'm Shannon said...

I have had some chalk cloth for about 2 years and haven't known what to do with it until now - I am doing this TODAY! thanks you!

Kelly McCants said...

wahoo! Glad I could help!