Monday, March 23, 2009

Pantry Project #2, Lining a wire Basket with oilcloth


Years ago I found some great wire baskets, I found them in the alley before a clean up day. What was my neighbor thinking, these are choice goods? I have used them with out lining for a long time, but now I need to use them for holding all the paper party supplies. I found that are lots of great tutorial out there for lining baskets. Here are my two fav's.

If you are going to use the Anna Marie Horner oilcloth this Sew Mama Sew basket lining how to if perfect, just don't forget to skip the ironing!

Mexican Oilcloth to your liking? This tut from DYI.com is great because you don't use elastic to keep it into place! Oh course, I can't do a project the way I am told to, so I am showing you how I adjusted the tutorial.


Since I am using the wire basket I am doing a double sided lining, my lining is lined! My inspiration is this great combo, faux bois oilcloth in birch and the lime dot oilcloth that I used on the shelves.


1) I am a bias junky so I choose to use pre-made bias for this project. My large basket took two package of bias. I attached across the top first.


2) Next I did the inside corners of the lining. I left 13 inches for ties. TIP: When you go to turn that corner leave your needle in the down position, lift your pressure foot up and swivel the material around.


How good looking is this? I love my weathered wire baskets even more. Here are two great uses for my super fun baskets. You could stuff it with laundry detergents, this is so easily cleaned you won't have to worry about spills.


Or, You could do what I am doing and fill it up with Party supplies. I now have all my paper products in one place. Now I can just pull the box down and get the party started. Don't forget to replace your stash after the party so you will be set for your next shindig!

Today I need to make a ton of oilcloth trays in my new color scheme. I will be making them for my kitchen linens. That tutorial made the Craft Magazines blog! What an honor, thank you Craftzine.com peeps!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Very nice! I love how you can see the lining through the wire baskets, and the crisp, clean look with the bias trim. I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-line-…-with-oilclothtutorial-line-a-wire-basket-with-oilcloth/2009/03/24/
--Anne

Unknown said...

love it!

Angie said...

I just stumbled on this one and I really like that the liner doesn't require elastic/drawstring. Very neat looking and easy to rinse clean.