Sunday, November 29, 2009

Great Idea for Laminated Cotton-Reusable Gift Bags



I just found this wonderful Reusable Gift Bag tutorial from Firefly Hill Designs via Craft Gossip, how cute would this be made out of the new Amy Butler laminates?  When I saw it I thought it would very fun for snacks as well as gift giving, heck, I am thinking holiday gift snacks bags might be a lot of fun! 


A note on PUL and Food Safety:  From everything I have read PUL--this laminated cotton--is most likely food safe since it doesn't contain PVC or BPA.  At this time the manufacturers do not have FDA approval, it is some peoples opinion that this is in the works.  This is great news for the young family and mother earth.  Now remember, I am not an scientist and I don't work with FDA so take this with a grain of salt, please do you own research if you have any concerns.    


A NOTE ON THE SAFTEY OF OILCLOTH:  Please note that the recent Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) prohibits oilcloth garments such as bibs and aprons or toys for children While there are no heavy metals in oilcloth, it may not be suited for Snack Bags and Sandwich Wraps especially for children.  I suggest using the more family friendly Laminated Cottons.  


2 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Is oilcloth food safe? Also, by the way, I received my oilcloth winnings in the mail yesterday and I am SO excited. Everything is so pretty! Thank you so much!

Kelly McCants said...

Good question, since Oilcloth is a PVC product it contains Phthalates and isn't great with food. Once I learned this I stopped making my Modern June Sandwich Wrappers because I just didn't want to risk it.

Hope that helps.