Monday, July 15, 2013

Sewing with Oilcloth Tips: Tracing Patterns

Ever wonder how to mark your pattern pieces onto oilcloth? The regular methods such as pinning and spiky tracing wheels just won't do, they would leave your project full of holes before you even started your project. Never fear, here are two methods that work well.


For this first method, just raid your sewing supplies and pull out a point turner and tracing paper. The sharp edge of the point turner is great for making small details. See how I made an X to mark the snap placement on my Sewing with Oilcloth Garden Apron pattern?


The second method is great for stitch lines and darts, just use a flat or smooth edged tracing wheel and your tracing paper. This handy tool can be found in the notions section at any large fabric shop. I think it's better to use this method if your using tissue paper patterns, I worry that the point turner would rip your pattern.



When it comes to buying tracing paper, might I suggest that you don't buy the double-sided paper. Oops! Luckily the markings came off of my oilcloth with a little rubbing.

Oilcloth: Orange Mums!!

No comments: