Sunday, January 2, 2011

Ironing Laminated Cotton

I've been working with the new laminated cottons a lot lately and I've picked up some handy tips along the way. I've read about people worried a ironing laminated cotton, but don't fret it can be done if you take the right precautions.

The Basics:
  • Iron on the wrong side whenever possible. 
  • Never let your iron touch the thin layer of BPA and PVC-free plastic. 
  • Use a low temp iron.
  • Skip the steam.  
  • Always use a press cloth. 

A bit more info on the press cloth... I prefer a clean cotton white flour sack tea towel, their large size is wonderful and they are thin enough to see your project through the cotton. If your project sifts out of place you'll be able to see.  I usually use two at a time, one to cover the ironing board and the second one to layer between my project and the iron. Ideally you’ll want to press the laminated cotton from the wrong side of the fabric, but there are times when you’ll need to press on the right side and in this instance using a press cloth is a MUST. 

4 comments:

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

I also have been playing with laminated cotton this week. I've been blogging about it starting here http://robingallagher.blogspot.com/2010/12/laminated-fabric-meets-fusibles.html . I also have a post scheduled to talk about sewing with it.

Anne said...

Great tips!! I linked to your article at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/read-all-about-it-ironing-laminated-cotton/2011/01/02/

--Anne

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Thanks for the great tips, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

Just what I needed, thank you!